Smart and simple components. Reduced to the essentials. Designed to last.
THE ZERO VIBRATION ENGINE
ZV-Generator is a generator-integrated combustion engine boasting best-in-class efficiency and packaging. Its ultra-compact design is reduced to the essentials. This goes hand-in-hand with a lightweight construction and low assembly and maintenance costs. To overcome the vibration challenges of a two-cylinder engine, a novel twin crankshaft configuration was selected. Contra-rotating crankshafts allow for optimized mass balancing. With its engine characteristics, the ZV-Generator is an ideal power source for electrifying vehicles.
It is perfect for powering a series hybrid and ideally used as a range-extender unit in a battery-electric car.
ZV-Generator: Main Drive
Contra-rotating crankshafts and generators
Acoustic and thermal insulation
ZV-Generator: High Power
- Symmetrical Generator and Main Drive Position
- Contra-rotating Crankshafts (balancing of 1st order)
- Double Speed Contra-rotating Generators (balancing of 2nd order)
- Full Load Operation at λ=1: (lowest cost for emission aftertreatment)
- Lowest NOx and PM Issues (due to simple intake manifold fuel injection)
- Capability (to fulfill more stringent future emission regulations)
Superior NVH Behavior
Special emphasis was placed on noise and vibration reduction during the design phase of the ZV-Generator.
To overcome the vibration challenges of a two-cylinder engine, a novel twin crankshaft configuration was selected. Contra-rotating crankshafts allow for optimized mass balancing. Generator and engine noise is also reduced thanks to the combined acoustic and thermal insulation. This insulation allows the thermal management system to use the engine as a heat source when temperatures are at their lowest.
With its engine characteristics, the ZV-Generator is an ideal power source for electrifying vehicles. It is perfect for powering a series hybrid and ideally used as a range-extender unit in a battery-electric car.
Due to its compactness and design features, the engine’s mounting position can be arbitrarily selected, providing automotive engineers with unprecedented freedom in hybrid powertrain packaging.
- Generator Power 40kWe Baseline (85kWe high-power version)
- Engine Displacement of 999ccm (multi-fuel calibration)
- Four Stroke Two-Cylinder Engine (naturally aspirated)
- SFC_DC: 258g/kWh
- Engine Weight: 95kg (without fluids)
- Compact Design (677 x 498 x 188 mm)
HV Li-Ion Battery
MORE ENERGY – LESS WEIGHT
OBRIST Powertrain batteries for PHEV and BEV applications are designed to fulfill customer expectations mostly related to increased specific energy and reduced costs. The most significant factor here is the choice of commodity - 18650 cells that are available at very low costs compared to prismatic or pouch-type Li-ion cells. High-performance and low-cost cooling bags are installed in the battery for cooling. In addition, the whole system was designed with a strong focus on excellent component integration to reduce complexity and material costs. The battery architecture has been tailored to automated production to achieve an extra level of reliability.
HV Li-Ion Battery
Battery Management System (BMS)
BMS Cooling Bag
BMS Modules and Cooling Bags
Battery Thermal Management
Battery Thermal Management
- High Power (PHEV) Battery (11 - 16.6kWh (403V) – discharge: 160 - 250kW peak)
- High Energy (BEV) Battery (19.5kWh (403V) – discharge: 80kW peak)
- Homogenous Cell Temperature Distribution (max ∆T = 3-4 K at 5C discharge)
- Battery Weight (without fluids): 112kg
- Dimensions: 1018 × 334 × 182mm
More Energy - Less Weight
The 16.6kWh PHEV battery comes with 148Wh/kg specific energy at system level and 160kW continuous discharge power. When adapting this battery for BEV applications, the specific energy reaches 166Wh/kg – the best in its class for liquid cooled, high voltage batteries.
The most significant factor here is the choice of commodity - 18650 cells that are available at very low costs compared to prismatic or pouch type Li-ion cells. High-performance and low cost cooling bags are installed in the battery for cooling. In addition, the whole system was designed with a strong focus on excellent component integration to reduce complexity and material costs. The battery architecture has been tailored to automated production to achieve an extra level of reliability
- Low Cost and High Flexibility (due to the use of 18650 cells)
- Liquid Cooling (for effective waste heat removal from cells)
- Homogeneous Temperature Distribution (at high load operation)
- Thermal Insulation (for better lifetime and performance)
- Passive Safety (through robust steel housing)
- Master/Slave BMS (with wireless voltage sensing)
- Innovative Screwless Fixation System
- Full Mounting Flexibility
Vehicle Control Unit
UNMATCHED DRIVING EXPERIENCE
The HyperHybrid control system contains an electronic vehicle control unit and dedicated control algorithms embedded into its software. The control unit is connected to all relevant components of the powertrain and of the vehicle. Due to the central high speed signal processing and the smart distribution of computational power between the peripheral control units, the driving and on-ride charging modes of the vehicle can rapidly be adjusted to achieve maximum efficiency. The architecture and interfaces of the HyperHybrid control unit and of the single components are designed for rapid implementation in established car lines and for the integration of control units from other suppliers.
Vehicle Control Unit
- Dedicated Control Algorithms (embedded into its software)
- Central High Speed Signal Processing
- Smart Distribution of Computational Power
- Proprietary Control Units (for the generator-engine unit, the batteries and the thermal management)
- Decentralized Control Units (communicate directly to the controller via the CAN bus systems)
The HyperHybrid control system is designed for several beneficial control features that provide automotive engineers with the toolbox to develop hybrid vehicles for an unmatched driving experience.
The architecture and interfaces of the HyperHybrid control unit and of the single components are designed for rapid implementation in established car lines.
CO2 Emission: 33g/km
NEDC - ECE101 Fuel Consumption
NEDC Fuel Consumption Results (Sustain Battery Charge): 4,75l/100km
NEDC ECE101 Battery Range: 58km
Vehicle: Geely Emgrand EC7 - Powertrain: HyperHybrid
>150 Internationally Active Patents
Intellectual Property: OBRIST Group
These patents include vehicle concepts for a new car generation.
More than 20 patents granted regarding the combustion engine and the battery.
Real-Life Test Drive: 2.93L/100km
Plus 6.6 kWh Power
Hamburg - Independent Test: Autobild Nr. 14 - 7.4.2017
Road Course: 150km Highway, City, Country
Consumption Values after 1 Full Round Course
Research and Development
Projects with the FFG: The Austrian Research Promotion Agency
Realization of industrial research and development projects regarding the mobility of the future.