THE ZERO VIBRATION ENGINE
The Zero Vibration Generator is a generator-integrated combustion engine boasting best-in-class efficiency and packaging. Its ultra-compact design is reduced to the essentials. This goes hand-in-hand with a lightweight construction and low assembly and maintenance costs. To overcome the vibration challenges of a two-cylinder engine, a novel twin crankshaft configuration was selected. Contra-rotating crankshafts allow for optimized mass balancing. With its engine characteristics, the Zero Vibration Generator is an ideal power source for electrifying vehicles.
It is perfect for powering a series hybrid vehicle.
Zero Vibration Generator: Baseline 40kWe
Zero Vibration Generator: Baseline 40kWe - Main Drive
Contra-rotating crankshafts and generators
Zero Vibration Generator: Baseline 40kWe - Acoustic & Thermal Insulation
Zero Vibration Generator: High Power 85kWe
Zero Vibration Generator: High Power 85kWe - back side
Zero Vibration Generator: High Power 85kWe - Acoustic & Thermal Insulation
- Symmetrical Generator and Main Drive Position
- Contra-rotating Crankshafts (balancing of 1st order)
- Double Speed Contra-rotating Generators (balancing of 2nd order)
- Full Load Operation at λ=1: (lowest cost for emission aftertreatment)
- Lowest NOx and PM Issues (due to simple intake manifold fuel injection)
- Capability (to fulfill more stringent future emission regulations)
Superior NVH Behavior
Special emphasis was placed on noise and vibration reduction during the design phase of the ZV-Generator.
To overcome the vibration challenges of a two-cylinder engine, a novel twin crankshaft configuration was selected. Contra-rotating crankshafts allow for optimized mass balancing. Generator and engine noise is also reduced thanks to the combined acoustic and thermal insulation. This insulation allows the thermal management system to use the engine as a heat source when temperatures are at their lowest.
With its engine characteristics, the ZV-Generator is an ideal power source for electrifying vehicles. It is perfect for powering a series hybrid and ideally used as a range-extender unit in a battery-electric car.
Due to its compactness and design features, the engine’s mounting position can be arbitrarily selected, providing automotive engineers with unprecedented freedom in hybrid powertrain packaging.
- Generator Power 40kWe Baseline (85kWe high-power version)
- Engine Displacement of 999ccm (multi-fuel calibration)
- Four Stroke Two-Cylinder Engine (naturally aspirated)
- SFC_DC: 258g/kWh
- Engine Weight: 95kg (without fluids)
- Compact Design (677 x 498 x 188 mm)